Master of Education Online - Teacher as Leader
Teacher as Leader Emphasis
The online Master of Education meets the needs of professional teachers who already are certified and desire a graduate specialty in elementary education or secondary education. Candidates enrolled in the masters of education program at Belhaven University are required to take a core of courses for 21 hours. In addition, students desiring additional hours in Teacher as Leader take 3 online courses in this area of emphasis for 9 credits. The degree program concludes with a comprehensive capstone course.
Master of Education
The online Master of Education program will enrich and advance teachers with a focus on the current areas of teaching and learning. Earning a MED degree can also afford current teachers with opportunity for advancement in educational leadership roles.
This program meets the needs of professional teachers who are already certified. It also prepares professional teachers who desire a specialized graduate degree for advanced leadership roles as teachers and instructional or curriculum leaders. The Master of Education provides advanced pedagogical and research skills to enable one to become a leader in today’s schools.
Belhaven online graduate courses for teachers take an in-depth look into the classroom and give teachers the ability to not only evaluate their current methods, but examine the improvement of learning and the implementation of better teaching techniques from a critical thinking perspective.
Belhaven’s Master of Education online classes gives teachers, who wish to pursue a masters, distinct advantages by eliminating obstacles like distance and time. Potential students could also qualify for scholarships like the Teach Grant and the Belhaven Classroom Leadership Scholarship.
Through this graduate degree program, students have access to Belhaven’s education professors and the wealth of knowledge they are eager to share. Since Belhaven’s founding in 1883, we have excelled in preparing students to be teachers and are excited to bring our education expertise to the online area.
|Course #||MED Core Courses||Credits|
|EDU600||MED Orientation Seminar||0|
|EDU610||Research Methods and Procedures||3|
|EDU612||Curriculum Planning and Organization||3|
|EDU628||Advanced Instructional Strategies||3|
|REA617||Content Area Literacy||3|
|EDU621||Assessing Student Learning||3|
|EDU623||Technology in Education||3|
|EDU630||Diagnostic and Remedial Strategies Across the Content Areas||3|
|Area of Emphasis - Teacher as Leader|
|EDU624||Issues and Innovations in Education||3|
|EDU631||Individual Instruction for Children with Learning Problems||3|
|EDU636||Supervision of Instruction: Collaborating for Accountability||3|
|EDU625||Instructional Leadership Skills in the Classroom||3|
As you apply for admission to Belhaven University, you can use this checklist to assist you in the process. Each item required is necessary to apply, be accepted and register at the college. If you have any questions about admission, please contact us at 800-960-5940 or email@example.com.
Steps to apply:
- COMPLETE the APPLICATION for Admission and SUBMIT $25 APPLICATION Fee.
- SUBMIT PROOF OF LICENSURE AND TRANSCRIPTS
- A bachelor's degree in Education from a regionally-accredited college or university is required. Submit an official transcript from your undergraduate degree granting institution and official transcripts from institutions where you have completed graduate coursework. A 2.8 cumulative GPA from undergraduate work is required for admission or a minimum GPA of 3.0 on any graduate work previously completed. Download the Transcript Request Form. See Transferability of Credit Notice.
- Provide evidence of holding a valid standard teaching license.
- Proficiency in the English language as demonstrated by at least two years of successful academic work at the college or university level in the United States or by a minimum score of 550 paper-based or 79 internet-based on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
- COMPUTER REQUIREMENTS
- Students taking the online courses are responsible for having the required hardware and software prior to each term start date.
- MILITARY CREDIT
- A veteran who wishes to be assessed for military credit or who will use veteran benefits must submit a copy of Form DD214 and/or DD295 to Belhaven University.
- CONDITIONAL ADMISSION
Applicants who do not meet the regular admission requirements, but show the potential for success in the M.Ed. program, may be admitted on a conditional basis using the following criteria:
- Students admitted on a conditional basis to the M.Ed. program must earn a 3.00 grade point average on the first nine semester hours of graduate work in order to continue in the program.
- The student may be asked to submit an essay or recommendations for review by the program committee.
- NON-DEGREE SEEKING, SPECIAL STUDENT APPLICATION PROCESS
- Submit a completed application for admission with fee of $25.
- Non-degree seeking students must submit an official transcript from their undergraduate/graduate degree-granting colleges/universities.
- Non-degree seeking students, after attempting six semester hours, must either apply for admission as a degree-seeking student or make a request to be continued as a non-degree seeking student (maximum of 12 hours).