Doctoral Degrees and Post Graduate Degrees

You can find a listing of the Doctoral and Specialist degree programs offered at Belhaven Online on the left of the screen (on a desktop computer) or bottom of the screen (on a mobile device). Browse through our programs and contact us at (601) 968-8881 with any questions that you have so that we can help you get started on your master degree from Belhaven University.

What is a Doctoral Degree?

A Doctoral degree is an advanced degree that is completed after a student receives a master’s degree. Belhaven awards a Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) in Education Leadership and Supervision (PK-12). After courses in education, statistics and research methods, the degree culminates with a dissertation.

What is a Specialist Degree?

We also offer an Education Specialist degree (Ed.S) in Education Leadership and Supervision (PK-12). An Education Specialist is completed after a student receives a master’s degree but before a doctoral degree. While some students earn an Ed.S. en route to receiving a doctoral degree, some students finish their studies with an Ed.S. degree. There is no dissertation required for students who wish to earn an Ed.S. degree.

What can I do with a Doctoral or Specialist Degree?

Students who earn an Ed.S. or Ed.D. degree one are typically seen as the top candidates for positions in public and private education. While educational administration positions typically only require a master’s degree, an Ed.S. or Ed.D can set a candidate apart, and in most states, allow for more compensation.

Why should I consider a Doctoral or Specialist Degree?

A doctoral or specialist degree should be considered by students who are highly motivated and intellectually curious. A dissertation can take many years to complete, but the value of a terminal degree is immeasurable.